Saturday, November 23, 2013

Botanics Desk Mat


There are some fabric lines that have your heart from the moment you meet. Both of Carolyn Friedlander's collections -- Architextures and now Botanics -- have affected me that way.


These prints are so incredibly elegant in their simplicity. The sketched illustrations, the uniquely modern designs, the carefully curated colors all grab my attention and simply will not let go. A charm pack of Botanics arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon, and I couldn't wait. As soon as I finished dinner, I pulled out my Architexture scraps and some Kona solids, opened up the Botanics stack, and made myself a new desk mat using the simplest of patchwork layouts. The mat is backed in a Lily Belle print by Bari J, and I quilted it in a dark gold Aurifil thread which I absolutely love. It's a nice compliment to the little touches of gold that show up in a few of the prints.


There's nothing fancy about this little mat, but I just can't stop looking at it. These fabrics mesmerize me, and I'm so looking forward to sewing with them again. Did I mention that I have another bundle of Botanics arriving in the mail on Monday? I can hardly wait...

13 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to them too, I pre-ordered a stack and hopefully they will come soon. Your little mat is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly gorgeous. I just received a mini charm pack of Botanics and played with it similarly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I can't really manage a stack right now, but am looking forward to a couple of low volume prints to add to my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you...totally love the simplicity and the beauty of these prints. I also love the patchwork mat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty :-) I love the way you have ordered the colours - it looks great. And gold thread - I haven't heard of that before - very special :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is lovely and the color layout is perfect. Sometimes simple really is best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an Architect, so I couldn't help falling in love with her first collection. Botantics will be very successful too, I'm sure. Your desk mat is beautiful, great way for looking at your favourite fabrics everday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited to get this fabric but I am hoping for sales next weekend. This though is the first on my list to purchase. It is fabulous. I loved how you used the charm pack :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how you arranged all of the prints in a very loose rainbow, it gives the quilt movement

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Heidi. Enjoy your squishy mail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! I am so in love with the succulent leaves print from that collection : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love her lines too! Just ordered some Botanics (I think 15 yards in total *eeek*)
    Cute little quilt :)
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...